Vienna Mir Pro 24
Bringing Space to Your Music
Vienna MIR PRO is a holistic mixing and reverberation engine for Mac and PC, based on revolutionary Multi Impulse Response convolution. Based on the central idea of “spatial mixing”, the software merges all parts of the creative process into a single intuitive workflow. Not just virtual instruments, but any audio signal can be processed and delivered in stereo, or in various surround formats on up to 8 output channels. You may choose your acoustic spaces according to your needs from various Vienna MIR RoomPacks with over 53,000 impulse responses of world renowned concert halls, legendary studios and recording facilities as well as exceptional churches.
Vienna MIR PRO 24 is the reasonably priced version with a limitation of 24 instruments, ensembles and audio signals that can be placed on its virtual stages. Apart from this limitation, Vienna MIR PRO 24 includes the full set of features and options of Vienna MIR PRO. An upgrade path from Vienna MIR PRO 24 to Vienna MIR PRO is available.
Conduct Your Mix
As opposed to traditional production, where the mixing console is often seen as a barrier between the music creator and the music environment, Vienna MIR PRO / MIR PRO 24 offers an entirely new spatial concept, allowing the user to interact with the players more like a conductor than an engineer. Get rid of two-dimensional faders and pan pots – simply use the innovative MIR Control Icon to change volume or stereo width and even rotate instruments within a fluid three-dimensional environment!
More than Reverberation
Vienna MIR PRO / MIR PRO 24 is much more than just “a multi-sample” of a hall – and this is where it far surpasses any other convolution reverb on the market. The software combines specific directional frequency profiles with reflectional information from every instrument, assembling all of the acoustic interactions into an accurate and satisfying recreation of musicians playing their instruments in place and in space. Vienna MIR PRO / MIR PRO 24 is multi-source, multi-directional, multi-positional, and multi-format.
Capturing the Magic of a Room
Every room has its own voice, with its own characteristics, its imperfections – its magic. Imagine the sound of a Bösendorfer Imperial Grand. Do you think it would be sufficient to record a single Middle C to make for a convincing virtual instrument? No, you have to go for individual samples from as many keys as possible, captured in as many velocities as the human ear is able to distinguish. The same is true for sampling a room. What the industry has had up to now are single samples from an acoustic entity, whereas Vienna MIR PRO / MIR PRO 24 is based on multi-samples with up to 5,000 individual impulse responses (IRs) per room.
Let’s look at what happens when you place a sound source, e.g., a solo horn, on Vienna MIR PRO’s virtual stage of a given concert hall. First of all, the position on stage triggers the selection of one or more sets of 8 impulses (6 for horizontal directions, 2 for upward and downward directions). Equally important, the directivity characteristics of each instrument are applied before the convolution of impulses, making the result dependent on the frequency distribution and the volume an instrument is emitting in various directions. The software engine calculates all of this in real-time, and what you get is what you hear – a solo horn that sounds exactly as if it were playing on that very spot on stage. But you are not limited to those spots that were used for impulse recording in the first place. The Ambisonics format allows for seamless interpolation of each and every point within the available areas of the room.
MIR Control Icon
New approaches to virtual orchestral music production require novel ways of handling them. Creating music is not about tweaking thousands of parameters individually – it’s about intuitive interaction with your instrument, or with the players you’ve written music for. The graphical representation of an instrument or ensemble allows you to shape your music from the conductor’s point-of-view.
The Vienna MIR Control Icon gives you an at-a-glance overview while allowing you to control almost any sonic aspect of a given instrument quickly and intuitively. Parameters such as volume, stereo width, direction or dry/wet signal ratio can be accessed at the touch of a single mouse click.
- Mixing & Reverberation host software based on Multi Impulse Response Convolution.
- Up to 5,000 individually recorded impulse responses for each room, depending on the size of the stage and the number of microphone positions.
- Hosting Vienna Instruments and 3rd party 64-bit VSTi plug-ins.
- Graphical user interface depicting 3D renderings of the selected room (venue maps) with scroll wheel zooming.
- Pre-listening function before selecting a room.
- Microphone Position Offset allowing for movement of virtual microphones in the room.
- Up to 40 sectors per stage for instrument placement, with interpolation between sectors for seamless transitions.
- Highly specialized impulses of line arrays in 60° steps in six horizontal directions as well as upwards and downwards.
- Reverb length can be changed individually for each microphone position.
- GUI options such as Instrument Grouping, Hide Icon, Instrument Focus.
- Intuitive multi-parameter MIR Control Icon with direct access to the connected audio source and visual feedback.
- Multiple wet signal busses allow for individual RoomEQ settings for different signal sources.
- Click-free auto-guessing of Instrument Profiles for Vienna Instruments (if used within Vienna Ensemble PRO – not available for plug-in version).
- Character Presets (such as ‘Air’, ‘Silk’, ‘Bite’, ‘Distant’, ‘Warm’) for quick timbral changes, available for most Vienna Instruments.
- Room EQ and Master EQ.
- Adjustable Room Tone (natural noise floor).
- Four-channel Ambisonics recordings for output in various stereo and surround formats (up to 8 output channels).
- Works with any commonly used sampling frequency, up to 192 kHz.
- Full latency compensation.
- MIRacle plug-in – Direct access to a tailor-made algorithmic global reverb for “sweetening”.
- Over 900 MIRx pre-configured placements and EQ settings for your instruments, precisely adjusted and perfectly seated in a concert hall or scoring stage.
- Dedicated “MIRx Mode” brings both the ease of use and sound settings of MIRx to Vienna MIR PRO, while still allowing for individual adjustments of all parameters.
- Includes all available MIRx Venues: Vienna Konzerthaus Grosser Saal, Konzerthaus Mozartsaal, as well as Teldex Scoring Stage Berlin (corresponding Vienna MIR RoomPack licenses required, sold separately).
- Tailor-made output formats and RoomEQ settings for all three Venues in MIRx Mode.
- Over 900 (!) manually built and optimized presets for Vienna Instruments, plus dozens of “General Purpose” presets for other signal sources.
- Tailor-made Character Presets for all Vienna Instruments, individually adapted for the selected position and chosen Venue.
- Easy conversion of existing projects to MIRx settings – either globally or partially.
- AU/VST/AAX Native/RTAS plug-in for direct integration with most modern DAWs.
- Optional one-click integration in Vienna Ensemble / Vienna Ensemble PRO.
In combination with Vienna Ensemble PRO :
- LAN capability.
- Direct and/or stem outputs.
- 3rd Party VSTi/AU hosting.
- Audio inputs.
- AUX sends for individual instruments and input signals.
- Automation of user-defined parameters.
- MIDI remote control of user-defined parameters.
- Learn All/Optimize All for Vienna Instruments.
- Master Tune for Vienna Instruments.
Let op: Vienna MIR PRO wordt geleverd met een licentie per aankoop. Indien je Vienna MIR PRO op meerdere computers tegelijk wilt gebruiken, is Vienna Mir Pro een goede en kosteneffectieve optie om extra licenties te krijgen. (Zie extra informatie)
New approaches to virtual orchestral music require novel ways of handling them. Creating music is not about tweaking thousands of parameters individually – it’s about intuitive interaction with your instrument, or with the players you’ve written music for.
Vienna MIR PRO provides you with a well-designed control icon that gives you an at-a-glance overview while allowing you to control almost any sonic aspect of a given instrument quickly and intuitively.
This innovative graphical representation of an instrument and its player allows you to shape your music from the conductor’s point-of-view. Simply ask musicians to change their position, their orientation, their volume, without losing sight of the whole ensemble. Get instant information on their loudness, their interaction with the room and their corresponding sonic and spatial profiles. Forget about mixing consoles with knobs and dials, but rest assured that all of the necessary parameters are available whenever you feel the need to use them.
Vienna MIR PRO is
- A multi-impulse response convolution engine.
- A holistic mixing solution with a pioneering graphical user interface.
- A stereo or multi-channel output stage.
Vienna’s software developers have taken the concept of convolution reverberation to the absolute authentic extreme. The application of more than 1,000 individual impulse responses (IRs) per room results in an enormous number of calculations that need a wealth of innovations to allow for flawless execution on a single 64-bit computer.
But, why all the effort? Imagine the sound of a Bösendorfer Imperial Grand. Do you think it would be sufficient to record a single Middle C to make for a convincing virtual instrument? Of course not. You have to go for individual samples from as many keys as possible, sampled in as many velocities as the human ear is able to distinguish. The same is true for sampling a room. What the industry has had up to now are single samples from an acoustic entity much larger than even the biggest instruments. There’s no way you can “play” a room like that. But this is what great rooms are all about – they want to be played by musicians, conductors, arrangers, just like any other instrument.
This is the reason the Vienna Symphonic Library recorded multi-samples from great musical venues. Because every room has its own voice, with its own characteristics, its imperfections – its magic.
Let’s look at what happens when you place a Vienna Instrument, e.g., the solo horn, on Vienna MIR’s virtual stage of a given concert hall. First of all, the position on stage triggers the selection of one or more sets of 8 impulses (6 for horizontal directions, 2 for upward and downward directions). Equally important, the directivity characteristics of each instrument are applied before the convolution of impulses, making the result dependent on the frequency distribution and the volume an instrument is emitting in various directions. A horn, directed to the rear, obviously has a different spatial frequency profile than the frontally blaring trumpet, for example. The MIR engine calculates all of this in real-time, and what you get is what you hear – a solo horn that sounds exactly as if it were playing on that very spot on stage.
Of course, you are not limited to those spots that were used for impulse recording in the first place. The Ambisonics format for our impulse responses allows for seamless interpolation of each and every point within the available areas of the room (“HotSpots”).
Vienna MIR PRO will make a significant difference in the creation of your orchestral music. It elegantly solves the challenges of professional mixing by bringing together all of your instruments into one unifying space, while providing precise and intuitive control over every instrument’s position, direction, and character. With Vienna MIR PRO, if you want a great mix, all you have to do is conduct.
For smaller projects, e.g., users of the Vienna Special Editions:
- PC Intel i7-Quad CPU or better, with Windows 7 64-bit
- Mac Intel i7-Quad CPU or better, OS X 10.6.8 or higher
- 12 GB RAM
For larger projects:
- PC Dual Intel Quad Core XEON 5520 or better, with Windows 7 64-bit
- Mac Pro 8-Core Xeon 5520 “Gainstown” or better, with OS X 10.6.8 or higher
- 24 GB RAM
- DirectX 10-capable video card with support for OpenGL 2.1 (WIN 7)
- AU/VST/AAX Native/RTAS compatible host; also works stand-alone in combination with Vienna Ensemble PRO 5
- ViennaKey (Vienna Symphonic Library USB protection device) or other USB eLicenser (e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia)
- eLicenser Control Center software (get the latest version from www.eLicenser.net)